Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A reason to leave: This town very often feels haunted.

I get reminders, daily, that I'm leaving. The whole world is green right now, and somehow that makes me nostalgic. It makes me wonder what I'm doing these days, in this in-between period, and if I actually had more direction this time last year. I am ready to throw myself wholeheartedly into forgetting, as sad as that is. It's what I have to do--as long as I'm in this city, as long as I'm with the same people, wandering the same campus, driving down the same streets, it's going to be haunted, and there will be an ache. I didn't realize one person could make an entire city feel haunted. I've got to go somewhere else in order to forget.

Don't get me wrong--this one person didn't drive me out. I was planning on doing Lasallian Volunteers long before my world turned upside down. But now, as sweet as it is to spend my days remembering, I've got to go somewhere that shocks me into the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive