Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Happy Ides

Ca-ching! I won $50 for third place prize in the CBU lit journal. I think it's for a poem I sent in. Actually, I don't think I ever put it up here.

Today

Today, when I woke up, I felt the old heaviness put to rest.

The spring called out to me,

To come outside,

To participate in the green and blue world.

To roll my shoulders back and align my spine.

So what can I do, but obey,

Follow this irresistible pull,

This tugging at my fingertips?

Come play.

Come laugh, and shake off the dark.

Let it slide down your back.

The fragments of you still rattle around in my brain,

Some broken shards of glass that my hands are drawn to,

Red and purple stained glass, each distinct and sharp.

Mostly shoulders and a familiarity.

The extraordinary creation of a habit and a rhythm

Of being with another.

It all whispers in my ear, asking me to remember.

Asking to destroy, to toss everything through a window

In a new sort of passion.

But today.

Today I can celebrate myself and sing myself.

Because this was how it began.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive