Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"All of us killed in the tidal beauty of coming and going..."
-Leonard Cohen, Book of Longing

Sometimes the way something is said makes the words ring out to me and stick with me. Like my ipod stuck on replay, replay. Haha. Usually sentences or stanzas from certain favorite poems.

Other phrases that are continually stuck in my head, I'll try my best to actually quote them accurately:

"We were very tired,
We were very merry,
We had gone back and forth,
All night on the ferry"
-Edna St. Vincent Millay, "Recuerdo"

"I like my body when it is with your body. It is so new a thing, muscles better, nerves more."
-e.e. cummings

"But love is a room, she said, that's what it is."
-Everything is Illuminated, Jonathan Safran Foer

"It must be a wave you want to glide in on. Give your body to it, give your laugh to it."
-Anne Sexton, "Admonitions to a Special Person"

"Lost in fog and love and faithless fear, I've had kisses that make Judas seem sincere."
-The Hold Steady, "Citrus"

"Put your ear down close to your soul
and listen hard."
-Anne Sexton

"You should go
from place to place
recovering the poems
that have been written for you."
-Leonard Cohen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive