Sunday, January 2, 2011

The previous entry is evidence of why I shouldn't drink and stay up late. I feel fine now.

"You can't get away from yourself by moving from place to place. There's nothing to that." -Jake, The Sun Also Rises

I had to memorize that quote for some dumb IB essay test way back in the 11th grade, and it has stuck with me. Right now, I'm wanting to move...get away from the messes that these past years have created, what a tangled web we weave. Well, I guess I created the messes, they didn't just happen over the past years.
So, in light of this quote, it's still fun to entertain the idea of becoming someone else in a different place. In a way, I think you do really become someone else to new people you meet. The people who have known me for four years, or longer, know me as me presently, but also as me when I was a freshman. I am an entirely different person now than I was four years ago. But you are your past as well to those who have known you for a long time. If you want to escape your past badly enough, sometimes you want to escape those who see you as both your past and present.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive