Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I forgot to mention

I picked up some poems by D.H. Lawrence at Burke's Books the other day, and it was printed in the seventies. It cost $1.45 when it was printed, and I bought it for $2.50. I made a comment to the guy working there about how it costs more used than it cost new, meaning for it to be a light, offhanded joke, but I think he thought I wanted to haggle or something...he started talking about inflation and all, and I was like, yeah, I know...I just thought it was funny.

There's a quote from D.H. Lawrence that I liked a lot:

"I worship Christ, I worship Jehova, I worship Pan, I worship Aphrodite. But I do not worship hands nailed and running with blood upon a cross, nor licentiousness, nor lust. I want them all, all the gods. They are all God. But I must serve in real love. If I take my whole passionate, spiritual, and physical love to the woman who in turn gives love to me, that is how I serve God. And my hymn and my game of joy is my work."

Anyway, the point of me mentioning this book is that the previous owner wrote a little something on the inside of the cover, and ever since I saw it, I've been thinking about it, what it means, who the people are, what the story was:

"March 1, 1971
Lo and behold I was touching Maggie, and, oh God--Maggie was touching me...permanent ugliness flowing to colors; pattern, and movement:
You and I are always together."

I love used books. Especially ones with writing in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive