Saturday, March 12, 2011

New View

I decided a change in layout was in order. Hope you like it. The above photo was taken by my twin sister, Annette, and it's making me love spring.

Some things I'm thinking about...

Wishing for more sun. Didn't quite get enough at the beach (that was where I was this past week). I describe anything on the Alabama/Florida coast as "the beach." On a similar note, I'd really like to go skinny dipping. I've never really done that. The song "Postcards from Italy" by Beirut is stuck in my head. "We put our features where they had to go." I'm looking for a major shake-up in my life. Inviting it in. Come on. Looking back on the past four or five months, I have done more writing than I've done in my whole life. I won a prize for something I wrote for the CBU lit journal, although I'm not sure what it is yet. I think I get some money. Apparently heartbreak is the recipe for halfway decent writing. Not sure how great of a trade-off that is. This thought keeps popping back up into my mind: I want to get a tattoo. It's a mantra..."Soham," which means "I am that" in Sanskrit. I want to get it between my shoulderblades. It's about recognizing yourself as part of the universe, and the universe as part of you. And everyone as part of you, vice versa. It sounds like hippie shit I know. The word is kind of onomatopoetic...it's the sound you make when you inhale and exhale. It's what I always return to whenever I feel misplaced or displaced or afraid..."so" on the inhale and "ham" on the exhale. And how perfect to have it on the back of my lungs. Aren't your lungs more towards your back than your front? I feel like I learned that at some point, maybe my anatomy is off. It would be tiny. Maybe I should get it somewhere where it would be less showing? I don't show my back off much though...the only other place I'd want it is on my heart, but I can't decide if that would come across as trashy or not. The other question is whether I'd get it in Sanskrit or English. I always picture it in English in my head, mostly because I don't know Sanskrit. And if I got it in Sanskrit, it might appear sort of cliche...

I hope you've enjoyed this stream-of-consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive