Monday, January 24, 2011

When I think sometimes about how life is all in those little gestures, it makes me realize that when you fall for someone, it's always because of those tiny quirks you notice. And those little things make you more intimate with that person than any physical thing (except maybe for holding hands--something that seems so simple and unobtrusive, but is actually the most intimate action there is).

When you look back on it, even when you aren't in love with them anymore, that's what you remember...the way they look when they're driving. Or a certain mole. Or how they always sneezed multiple times in a row. Inside jokes. It's never "oh I loved them because they were sincere, kind, intelligent." It's because of some sort of chemistry that happens when you mix these little pieces of who someone is, their gestures and their handwriting and the line of their jaw.

There is this book called The History of Love by Nicole Krauss and I lent it out and haven't gotten it back. But part of this quote stuck with me...it's something like how the character "didn't understand how I could miss the way someone holds things."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive