Saturday, June 26, 2010

I was thinking today

about how none of us will ever understand each other as much as we would like to be understood. Does that make sense? You can fool yourself into thinking that another person gets you, really really knows you. But nobody fully understands anybody. We don't understand ourselves. The best we can hope for is to be understood halfway. The best we can hope for is for our needs to be met halfway. The perfect relationship would be if each person met the other's needs entirely and equally. That requires understanding what the other person needs, and that isn't always easy. Mostly, people don't say what they need because they don't know what they need.

I want to freeze some of my relationships in time. I get scared that one of us will change until we're unrecognizable to the other, and fall out of friendship/love. I know I'm being melodramatic. I need the space between me and others to lessen so I can be reassured that we really are as good a fit as we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive